The holidays are upon us! Have you already purchased, wrapped and tied up each of your thoughtful gifts with a bow?
Yeah, we haven’t either. But good news! We have plenty of local makers and entrepreneurs right here in Birmingham with gifts that will delight your unwrappers.
There are lots of reasons to shop local – from keeping tax dollars in your city to investing in local entrepreneurship and job creation. But what those on your list will be most excited about are the unique and memorable gifts that underscore the excellence of Birmingham’s growing entrepreneurial community.
Here are just a few Birmingham entrepreneurs you can support this holiday season (and throughout the year!).
- Beehive Baking Company – Carbalicious gift certificates are available in any amount – and can be delivered directly to the gift recipient or the purchaser. Gift certificates can be used to order fresh breads and other baked goods from the 2018 Big Pitch winners with free delivery in Avondale, Crestwood, Forest Park, Downtown, Southside, Woodlawn, East Lake, Homewood, and the Mountain Brook villages. To purchase, email BeehiveBake@gmail.com with your specified amount and delivery address.
- Bitty’s Living Kitchen – Choose from juice cleanses, classes and meal deliveries to help start 2019 on a healthy foot – and don’t forget Bitty’s Sneaky Mix for your holiday parties!
- Club Duquette – This modern mom-and-pop shop in Woodlawn specializes in a curated selection of quality goods ranging from clothing to clean skincare and the most unique accessories and gifts.
- Domestique Coffee – Give your favorite coffee lover something to rave about. You can’t go wrong with these beans, also available in a sampler box, for purchase on Domestique’s website.
- Gatos and Beans – This 2018 Big Pitch winning cat cafe is not open yet, but that doesn’t mean you can’t gift a cat lover with a pre-open membership!
- Great Bear Wax -These hand-poured candles are inspired by the great outdoors and the company of good friends. Each scent brings a sense of adventure into your space.
- Ignite Cycle – Who has getting in shape as a New Year’s resolution? Ignite Cycle (opening soon in Pepper Place) Sparks memberships and $15 pop up rides make great gifts and stocking stuffers!
- Jim Reed Books – Book lover on your list? Find the right reading materials or a gift certificate for them to experience the magic of Jim Reed’s bookstore for themselves.
- Match Chocolate – Pick up this local bean-to-bar chocolate at Square One, Revelator, The Pizitz Food Hall’s Busy Corner, as well as pop-ups and markets across the ‘Ham.
- Naughty But Nice Kettle Corn Co. – Order delicious locally-popped kettle corn in gorgeous Magic City gift tins.
- Open Shop – Browse this curated men’s store in Woodlawn to make someone feel extra special.
- Piper & Leaf – From a variety of tea blends to fun drinkware and apparel, Piper & Leaf gifts are sure to “tea” up a heartfelt thank you.
- Public Office – This store in Woodlawn believes in simplicity and intentional design. In addition to a large collection of Aesop skincare products, they carry products from brands they admire from all over the world.
- Sojourns Fair Trade – Fair trade means no sweatshop labor and no child labor. This downtown Birmingham store works with 400+ cooperatives in 57 countries. All products are environmentally sustainable.
- Sprout and Pour – Gift cards from this locally owned juicery in Founder’s Station will make anyone’s tastebuds happy.
- Square One Goods Co. – Stop right next door in Founder’s Station to browse tons of locally made gifts and cards in this 2017 Big Pitch winner’s shop.
After opening Chocolatà Artisanal Chocolatier in 2017, Kathy D’Agostino has enjoyed watching the once quiet streets of downtown Birmingham come back to life. REV sat down with her to learn more about how she landed here, where she thinks the city is heading, and why Chocolata believes in Birmingham.